There's a decided 70s flair to some of the current pattern offerings. The last dress I made, Vogue 9312, is one such pattern. This one, Vogue 9311, also fits the bill. Maybe that's why I was so determined to make both dresses. I came of age in the 70s (the late 70s!), and perhaps I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.
The changes I made to the pattern included adding a little more length to both the flounce and the skirt. I also chose to line the bodice which gave it a nice, clean finish. It also helped insure the bodice pieces were opaque. But with such a busy print, that wasn't too much of a concern.
This is another easy-to-make pattern. The hardest part? Pinning the flounce on the skirt! And that wasn't hard, it was just tedious.
The ties are long enough to tie in the back or wrap around to the front which is how Mehetabel chose to wear it for these photos.
The bodice is lined with white batiste. I wanted to keep the dress as cool as possible. As I usually do, I trimmed about 1/8 inch off the neck and armscyes to help keep the lining from showing.
The fabric is a very lightweight cotton sateen from Mill End Fabrics in Reno, Nevada. It has sort of a batik-y look to it, and I thought that would work well with this style of dress. When I pre-washed it, the black dye bled like crazy, so I suggested to Mehetabel that she use a color catcher sheet when laundering the dress. The fabric came out of the dryer without any wrinkles, so huzzah for easy-care fabrics!
Mehetabel wanted some hot weather dresses, and this one does the job nicely!
|She likes it!|